Monday, March 29, 2010

BEAUTY WITH GRIT...

What is beauty for a woman,a girl?physical beauty?beauty of mind?Beauty has  often been  misinterpreted only as beauty of physique or outer beauty  of a woman..

                                   I was in the block number 56 first floor in Mysore DC.There was ma block mate in the second floor..I used to go to her room often..One day as usual as i was coming back from her room i saw  a figure clad in shawl or chunni passing by.As i was new to the block i didn't mind that .Two days later again i happened to see that girl again..It was around 6.30 in the evening..I was returning to ma room..Suddenly i saw a pink churidar infront of me..i saw  her face...OMG..I was taken  aback...I couldnt believe ma eyes...I saw a disfigured face with flesh grafted here and there on the face..I was frightened..Seeing me frightened that girl moved fast away from me and disappeared into the room nearby..

                           I thought about that face that whole night..But didnt discuss it with anyone...That day passed by..One noon as we friends were having lunch one of ma friends talked about a girl from Andhra Pradesh whose story was discussed to her by her roomie..Her face was burnt with acid and there were cases based on that..As we were having lunch we decided not to discuss that then...

                             I had been given ma terminal number and ma PC number..I went and sat infront of ma alloted PC...There were guys from Orissa,West Bengal,Tamil Nadu ..I met all of them..Suddenly ma eyes got stuck onto a girl sitting in the next terminal..It was the same girl...She had put her chunni over her head and was hiding from everyone...I felt strange...As days passed i came to know her real story...One day she came to me holding a newspaper in her hand..I was so curious that i took it and started reading it..I couldnt believe ma eyes..It was an article about herself..As i read down "girl with grit",ma hands began to shiver,i felt cold,i couldn't breathe and tears rolled down ma cheeks..It is as follows..

                         She is Pranitha from Andhra Pradesh...In her sixth semester as she was coming back from college with her friend in the pillion seat on scooty,two guys on a bike came infront of her..She thought those guys were making fun of her..as she took her helmet out to shout at those guys,the guys poured something on her and her friend..Before she could knew anything she felt her skin burning and she saw her friend burning down as they had poured "acid" on them..She could feel the killing pain of the acid piercing her body it burnt her right leg and she and her friend was rushed to the hospital where on december 31st her friend breathed her last as she was seriously burnt and Pranitha was given several skin graftings and layerings by the doctors there..She underwent hell lots of pain during those days...

                                She requested her university authorities to grant permission to write exams from hospital itself..but it was rejected..she with the support of her family wrote her exams..She has lost her right ear and burnt whole of her right chin,neck and lost most of her hair...Graftings and skin layering gave her a new face...a new life...Inspite of all these hard times she completed her graduation with good score.She says in that article "i was a beautiful girl before..but now am feeling much more beautiful with a new face and a new mind.I am treated and seen like a film actor now, i am a girl with grit"..

                                    I dont have any idea how i finished reading that article ..I found it difficult to hide ma tears..as i saw her face she was smiling..I  felt proud of her instead of feeling sympathetic towards her..She has no face of her own..yet she faces the world with her own smile,...I went to her and completed ma words "you are the most beautiful woman i have ever seen in ma life after ma mom "..Tears rolled down ma cheeks even then....

No comments: